However, no matter what part of the island you are not staying in February you will have three major events on the island - Local residents twice a year - February 2nd and 15th August - celebrate in honor of the Virgen de la Candelaria. In the night from 14 th to August 15 the church will remain open and it is visited by thousands of pilgrims from all the Canary Islands, according to tradition come all the way on foot. Events include theater performances - the phenomenon of the Virgin and the procession of the image of the Virgin of Candelaria on the streets. This holiday - an important event in the life of the archipelago with the folk festivals and fireworks. In February, at the Basilica Square is a torchlight procession. Despite the fact that the cathedral - the main temple of Tenerife - La Laguna is located in the heart of the religious life of the island and the entire archipelago beats in the coastal town of Candelaria (Candelaria) not far from the capital. Here, in the impressive size of the Basilica (Basilica de la Candelaria) is stored is very important for every believer kanartsa relic - a statue of Our Lady of Candelaria, patron saint of the Canary Islands. Royal Basilica of Candelaria (Basílica y Real Santuario Mariano de Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria) - Catholic church, minor basilica is located in Candelaria, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain. The temple was consecrated in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Our Lady of Candelaria, patron saint of the Canary Islands - is the largest of the Canary Islands sankturiem. Basilica of the Virgin Mary with sankturiem of a single religious complex and is the center of Catholic pilgrimage. Near the church is a Dominican monastery of the Presentation of the Lord, and the Museum of Church Art. Our Lady of Candelaria, patron saint of the Canary Islands In 1596, King Philip III granted sankturiyu right to be called "royal." Later, he built several churches in the place where now stands the basilica. Construction of the modern basilica was begun in 1949 on the site of the old temple, destroyed by fire in 1789 and ended in kontse1958 year. February 1, 1959, the solemn consecration of the temple. January 24, 2011 Pope Benedict XVI erected the church to the rank of minor basilica. The solemn consecration took place on the feast of the Presentation of the Lord on February 2 this year, the Bishop of the Diocese of Tenerife. The town was founded in the place where once on a pebble beach in a deserted rocky spit ocean waves carried the wooden statue of the Madonna and Child. It happened about 100 years before the conquest of the island by the Spanish conquerors in the middle of the XIV century. Most (about 1 meter tall), darkened by the time the statue was found by local shepherds, who believe in its miraculous power. The statue was placed in the cave and the Guanches worshiped it as a god Chahiraki - Mother of the Gods. The first landed on the island of the Spanish colonists were surprised to find the cult of the Virgin of the pagan tribes of Tenerife, and decided to take advantage of this by convincing Guanche in their common religion with Christianity. Deified statue of the local supreme ruler favorably received the Spaniards arrived on the island in 1464, but the subordination of the Spanish crown recognized only formally, not allowing the colonists to settle here permanently and to set their own rules. After 30 years of Spanish colonists landed again for the conquest of the island, 20 kilometers north-east of La Candelaria, having set up at this place a large wooden cross, which later gave the name has arisen here in Santa Cruz, one of the Canary Islands current capitals. After the first defeat, the colonists still managed for three years by force of arms to conquer the disparate tribes of the Guanche. Helped Spaniards plague, which kills mostly Guanche, who did not know how to prevent the spread of the disease previously unknown to them. For the people of Guanches meeting with European civilization proved fatal - from the few survivors were sold into slavery to the continent or accepted Catholicism and mixed with new settlers, having lost their language and culture. Now about the people in Tenerife resemble installed on the central square on the pedestal of volcanic rock realistic figures of the past leaders - menseev who ruled nine different areas of the island before the arrival of the Spaniards. The story of the Black Madonna on the island, which has contributed to the spread of Christianity here, come down to us from the records Dominican friar Alonso de Espinosa, visited Tenerife in 1580. He, in turn, recorded it with the words of the descendants of the Spanish settlers. According to this legend, it can be assumed that the statue on the island left the first European sailors and missionaries, to stick at different times to its shores. Interestingly, the story of the adventure of the Black Madonna of Candelaria did not end with her appearance on the island. It is said that a wooden statue of the Madonna found by shepherds, had been stolen from the Guanche Spaniards, but later returned or replaced skillfully executed copy. In the second half of the XVII century near the cave, where there was a statue of the Madonna, in her honor by Dominican monks it was built a stone church with three naves and a high bell tower. During a terrible fire that occurred in 1789 and completely destroyed all the buildings, the statue was miraculously saved, and while the monks rebuilt the temple burnt, it was kept in one of the wings of the monastery building. During a violent storm that struck the island in 1826, it claimed the water flows into the ocean, this time permanently. Although the search that lasted a few days on the coast and in the coastal waters, the sculpture was never found. Despite the loss, the veneration of the Virgin of Candelaria has not decreased, and the islanders have decided to restore the statue blown elements. This work was entrusted to Fernando Estevez of La Orotava, which was considered at that time the most famous sculptor of the Canary Islands. In 1827, the master cut a new image of Our Lady of the wood, made in a realistic style with Baroque elements, which also was one and a half times larger than the lost originals. Now the statue of Our Lady of Candelaria is stored in the altar of the Basilica of Nuestra Seniora de Candelaria, built in 1959 and is under the patronage of the Dominican Order. For areas where there is a complex of buildings including a basilica, is accessible by a small pedestrian street, separated from the coast only one line of houses with brightly colored facades. On ordinary days in Candelaria visited by not so many tourists and the city mired in half-asleep. But everything changes during the festivities in honor of Our Lady of Candelaria, which are held here every year on February 2 and August 15. These originally purely religious holidays, the Spaniards have long been accompanied by various performances, torchlight procession and fireworks. View and participate in them in here attracts thousands of tourists filling the streets, squares and city beaches. Many residents of the island these days, according to tradition, pilgrimage, getting in Candelaria on a festive liturgy on foot along mountain trails, paved, perhaps even a hundred years ago, tribes Guanche. The television broadcast of the festival goes even to Latin America. Visit Candelaria convenient to combine with a trip to Santa Cruz. The city is located near the TF-1 motorway, on-site guided by the bell tower of the Basilica.
From Las Americas bus 111 to the city not to call, and stops on demand at motorway: have a little walk. Then return to the starting stop is not necessary, it is possible to get to Santa Cruz on other routes directly from the city. Basilica: Working days 7: 30-13: 00 and 15: 00-19: 30 Saturday and Sunday 7: 30-19: 30 www.candelaria.es